What Is covered under Storm Damage?
In a storm it is hard to know where to turn or what to do next. It is important to know what could be covered under your storm insurance. Every policy is different and can vary depending on what is underwritten. The few different coverage to look for include:
- Water and Ice Damage
- Lightning Strikes and Power Surges
- Wind, Hail and Fallen Trees
Under these specific coverages there can be many exclusions, so it is important to read your policy carefully.
Some things that typically are not included under your normal homeowners coverage include:
Knowing storms and disasters can happen at anytime it is always best procedure to be prepared. Make sure your home is always ready for an impending storm.
Somethings that should always be done regularly include:
- Checking Roof for missing shingles or spots collecting water, possible damage
- Removing any dead trees that could be hazardous
- Making sure a generator is available and ready for any situation
- Having Food, water, and medications for all family members and pets
- Knowing where you water and electric shut offs are
Following these regular house maintenance guidelines will help when a storm event comes about. Here at your local SERVPRO we are always here to help!